In conversation with SoS Gavin Williamson
On 26th May 2021, our Lifelong Education Commission, welcomed the Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson and the Minister of Apprenticeships and Skills Gillian Keegan, to discuss the Government’s White Paper ‘Skills for jobs: lifelong learning for opportunity and growth’.
The Rt. Hon. Chris Skidmore MP and Phillip Blond (Director, ResPublica) joined the Secretary of State to foster a conversation on key elements of the White Paper and how the Government’s strategy will be implemented. Representatives from the Commission’s Institutional Members also had the opportunity to ask their questions to the SoS and the Minister.
Key talking points:
– What are the main barriers to reforming the funding mechanism for lifelong learning?
– How can true flexibility be instilled in the system, especially in the age of remote learning?
– In what way can SMEs benefit from and have a greater role in the lifelong learning cycle?
– Why an emphasis on lifelong education is key to address inequalities and provide a better future to those who are left behind
– How lifelong education relates to the Levelling Up agenda and the turnaround of disadvantaged places.